Google Now ready to transport you back to Enterprise
Google has a thing to boldly go where no man has gone before when it comes to Easter eggs via its products. This time Google Now sets phasers to stun the trekkies with a pretty neat new addition to the Easter eggs collection. So if you’re tired of this planet and you decide to search for intelligent life elsewhere, take your phone, speak out loud ‘ OK Google’ and demand ‘ Beam me up, Scotty.’ See what happens. Well, maybe not in Scottish accent, but it’s still rather appealing for all fellow geeks and Star Trek fans out there. For everyone else, ‘Beam me up, Scotty’ is a request to Chief Engineer Montgomery “Scotty” Scott for transport back to the USS Enterprise.
One of the most interesting facts of the ‘Beam me up; Scotty ‘is that it was never actually attempted in any of the classic Star Trek TV series or movies. More often than not, the command was more like “Three to beam up” or simply “Beam them up,” with the closest approximation to the phrase being “Beam us up, Scotty” and that one appeared only in a few episodes of the Star Trek animated series. That doesn’t change the fact that William Shatner DID says this line while reading the audio version of the Star Trek: The Ashes of Eden novel, so in the end this is definitely not highly illogical.
Meanwhile, speaking of Google’s tradition of perpetrating hoaxes, let’s not forget other cool stuff by Google Now that you might not have tried yet.
- ‘Do a barrel roll.’ -screen will do a 360 spin.
- ‘Bacon number (actor)’ – because Google knows your favourite actor’s bacon number.
- ‘Sudo, make me a sandwich’- though you’ll end up making your own sandwich with this one. Be grateful, you’re not making one for Sudo as well.
- ‘What’s the loneliest number?’
- ‘What’s your favorite color?’
- ‘What phase is the moon?’
- ‘Tell me a joke?’
- ‘Instead of talking, let it listen to a song to identify it.’
- ‘Tilt!’- cause the search results to be displayed at a slight angle.
Now beam me up, Scotty.