Samsung ATIV S is getting updated with GDR3
On October 14, Microsoft released the third update for Windows Phone 8, which was said to arrive to phones over the following months. As Microsoft promised, Windows Phone Developers were able to download this update in order to test their apps with the latest version of the operating system under a new Developer Preview Program. Now the GDR3 update is pushed up to Samsung Ativ S as well, joining HTC 8XT on Sprint. GDR3 includes features like Start screen support for devices with 5 to 7-inch displays at 1080p maximum, for example the 6-incher Nokia Lumia 1520 has all the requirements. The update bringing the OS version to 8.0.10517.150 also supports the popular Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 quad-core CPU and brings lots of improvements, including the Driving Mode, closing individual apps from the multitasking menu, screen-orientation lock and new storage settings along with improved Wi-Fi and Bluetooth and hundreds of enhancements and bug fixes.
Here’s the official changelog:
- Accessibility. We’ve made several improvements for customers who are visually impaired.
- Storage. Now you can easily free up storage space on your phone and manage temporary files. New categories show what’s taking up space.
- Driving Mode. Feeling distracted behind the wheel? Driving Mode allows you to minimize incoming calls and text messages to help you focus on the road.
- Screen. Reading emails in bed? You can lock your screen orientation so it doesn’t shift when you move your phone around.
- Wi-Fi. Start preserving cellular data on your phone right out of the box—you can now connect to Wi-Fi during set up.
- Internet sharing. Now you can use your phone’s cellular data connection from your Microsoft Windows 8.1 devices by pairing them over Bluetooth.
- Bluetooth. Several fixes were made to address known issues, and improvements were made to connection quality for Bluetooth accessories.
- Ringtones. Do more with ringtones now. Assign ringtones for text messages, so you’ll know who’s texting you without even looking. Use your custom ringtones for more things—text messages, instant messages, emails, voicemail, and reminders.
- App switcher. Don’t look back. Now you can use the App switcher to quickly close apps when you’re finished with them.
- Other improvements. Includes many other improvements to Windows Phone.
Meanwhile, Samsung Ativ S is a touchscreen smartphone manufactured by Samsung Electronics running the Windows Phone 8 and, in fact, Samsung’s first Windows Phone 8 device and it features 4.8 inch 1280 x 720 HD Super AMOLED display with a pixel density of 306ppi, a 1.5 GHz dual-core processor, 1 GB of RAM, an 8-megapixel camera, near field communications, and support for HSPA+ networks. The Ativ S is available with 16 GB or 32 GB of internal storage with micro SDXC expansion for up to an additional 64 GB, and the specs make it very similar to Samsung Galaxy S 3, however that one is running Android.
Source: Windows Mania