App revenue in Asia grew by 162% in 2013
Asia is the top marketplace for app developers
A new report for the app marketplace in 2013 reveals interesting figures. Asia, the continent that became the top market for apps two years ago is now accelerating its growth. In 2013, the total app revenue grew by 162% compared with 2012, shows a new Distimo report. The app revenue growth is being driven by Google Play and the income of the store has grown four times in 2013.
To compare, Apple’s store has accumulated 94% more from iPhone apps and 64% more from iPad apps than in 2012. Despite the lag in Asia, Apple performed better in Europe, where the company has registered much faster growth. Breaking the total numbers into continents, Asia accounted for 41% of the overall app revenue, compared with 31% for North America and 23% for Europe. In North America, Apple’s store takes a huge portion of the revenue (75%), while the remaining 25% are for the Google Store. On the other hand, Asia is a totally different market, expect China where only 3.5% of the users have Google Play installed. In countries like Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore and others, Google Play store dominates in app purchases.
Despite there are many alternative app stores in China, the developers are still very interested in new Android apps. However, the most attractive place for them is still Japan, where the revenue is 77 times more than the revenue from Malaysia. From all countries in the region, South Korea has registered the highest growth. App revenue grew by 271% on year’s base, driven by Google Play while Apple accounted for just 14% of the income.
For more info, download the full report from Distimo
via Tech Crunch